Friday, September 11, 2026

The Southern Kitchen: Fried Green Tomatoes

I've always wondered about this dish and the garden was full of green tomatoes so I thought why not? It was definitely less acidic. I made it lower carb by using protein powder instead of flour and pork rinds instead of cornmeal.

The ingredients:
Green tomatoes sliced
Salt and pepper
1 C unflavored protein powder
1 tsp salt and pepper
1 C heavy cream
1 C pork rind crumbs
1 tsp savory
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne
Avocado oil


The recipe:
Slice the tomatoes and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
In 1st shallow bowl add protein powder plus 1 tsp salt and pepper 
In 2nd bowl add heavy cream.
In 3rd bowl, add the pork rinds, savory, paprika, and cayenne.
Take each tomato slice and coat in flour mix, then cream, then pork rind mix and set aside.
In a skillet, add oil to pan and when hot add the tomatoes and fry for about 2-3 minutes flipping halfway through.
Set aside on paper towel to drain.

Optional: serve with sauce of choice.

Notes:
You can use regular flour instead of protein powder and cornmeal instead of pork rinds. The original recipe also used buttermilk instead of heavy cream. 

The original recipe served these with a cajun sauce. I had tartar sauce already made so I used that. 


I think I might add more seasoning if I try this again. It was not bad just not as much flavor as I thought. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Southern Kitchen: Fried Green Tomatoes

I've always wondered about this dish and the garden was full of green tomatoes so I thought why not? It was definitely less acidic. I ma...