Monday, August 26, 2024

The Healthy Kitchen: BBQ Quinoa Bowl

 Quinoa bowls are my go-to for healthy meals. They are so versatile, and you can make one for any food type you like. I had an idea for a quinoa bowl using BBQ flavors and ingredients. 

For any quinoa bowl I start with making my quinoa in a rice cooker. I use 1 cup of quinoa to 2 cups of broth. Mine usually takes about an hour to cook completely and I use the brown rice setting. 

For this recipe I cooked my meat, in this case ground chicken, in a skillet with a bit of oil and seasoned liberally with Meehan's BBQ seasoning. 



I then added my veggies and beans. In this case a bag of frozen corn and a can of black beans. This would also be good with green pepper added. I then add a bit more of the Meehan's BBQ seasoning to taste once cooked through. 

While that is cooking, I toast some friend onions in the oven at 300 for about 5 minutes just to brown a bit. 


Once that is done it is time to assemble. 
I start with a bed of quinoa about 1/2 C for a serving, then top with the meat and veggie mixture, then add the onions. I then top with a bit of actual BBQ sauce. In this case I used G Hughes Sugar Free Carolina Gold BBQ sauce. I just drizzle over the top. Then I garnish with some cilantro. 


I really feel like the onions add something. I love the crunchiness of these fried onions. This was a tasty recipe and I just loved the BBQ flavor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Meatless Kitchen: Tex Mex Quinoa Three Ways!

 I needed a quick lunch the other day, so I made a big batch of Tex Mex Quinoa. Basically, a bunch of veggies and beans tossed with seasoned...