Monday, June 17, 2024

The Healthy Kitchen: Tips for Healthier Baking

Living with health conditions can be complicated and make you think you have to completely give up on the things that you enjoy like cookies, cakes, and pies oh my! However, there are ways you can bake where you can enjoy the occasional treat. Is it going to be just as good as the unhealthy recipes? No, of course not. But you can enjoy the healthier recipes more often and not have to avoid sweets completely. As with everything portion control is key and knowing what your specific needs are. I am diabetic, so I have to watch my carbs and sugar intake. 


I have been working to try and be able to make some sweet treats that allow me to have a bit of a freer lifestyle. First, you need to know, you may have to make your treats instead of buying premade at the store. Below are some tips I have discovered on my journey that have allowed me to make sweets are home and enjoy a treat more often.  

1. Flour swaps
Getting away from white processed flour is key. There are so many options out there now that you can use. I tend to gravitate to white whole wheat flour personally. Coconut flour and almond flour are very popular alternatives. I am not a huge fan personally of almond flours texture but if you need to avoid gluten it is a great alternative. Another one I am seeing more and more is Cassava flour. They key is to look at your dietary needs and just try some alternatives. Be prepared, these alternative flours are not going to be as cheap so you will spend more but it will be better for you, and you can enjoy a cookie every now and then.   

2. Using alternative sugars
Like flour, you want to avoid the white sugars. There are loads of alternatives from natural options like honey, maple syrup, coconut sugar to other non-natural sweeteners. There are even blends. My go to for making recipes healthier is to replace brown sugar with coconut sugar and currently I am replacing white sugar with a Truvia sugar blend. It does have a bit of white sugar, but it is less plus you use half of the amount called for in a recipe. As with the flour, you need to research and see what the best option for you is. 


3. Portion sizes
Portion size is crucial in keeping things healthy. For me it is cutting brownies up into small squares, and for cookies using a smaller scoop. The other thing I do especially for cookies, it to keep them hidden away in the freezer. That way I am not tempted to sit down and eat 10 cookies in a row. I pull out one or two and the rest stay in the freezer. If I make muffins, I try and make mini muffins instead of large ones. 

4. Dark chocolate
Let's talk chocolate. Chocolate is not necessarily an evil thing if you are eating healthy. It's all about the type. Dark chocolate is the healthiest chocolate you can eat and is my go-to for things like cocoa powder and chips. You can also use half of what the recipe says to use. I do still use semi-sweet chips in like brownies where I used dark cocoa powder for a little lightness. In cookies, I tend to only use dark chocolate chips. Another great option is sugar free chocolate chips like Lily's baking chips. They taste good and there are a lot of variety of types that you can use.  

5. Healthier mix-ins
Lastly, alternative mix-ins that are healthier is a great way to bake healthier. Things like oats, flax seed, and chia seed add fiber. You can use dried fruit just watch the sugar amount especially the added sugars. Nuts add protein. Pumpkin is not only very tasty but also a great source of fiber. Fresh fruit and veggies are great in quick breads like zucchini, banana, and pumpkin.  Another favorite of mine is fruit crisps. You use fresh or frozen fruit and can make a crisp topping that fits your dietary needs including things like oats and nuts for added health benefits. You can even make these in single servings. 



Make ahead Crumble topping
12 oz unsalted butter cold or at room temperature
2.5 C whole wheat flour
1 C rolled oats
1 C coconut sugar
2 tsp salt
1tsp ground cardamom
2tsp ground cinnamon
2tsp vanilla extract or almond

Add all ingredients to large bowl and rub the butter into the dry ingredients with fingertips until mixed and crumbly. Make sure no large chunks of butter.
Spoon the crumble mixture into a freezer safe container and place in freezer until ready to use. 
Will last up to a year in the freezer. No need to thaw before baking. 

Baking can be a bit tricky, and it is all about trial and error when trying to bake healthier. If you aren't sure about a recipe there are a lot of recipes on Pinterest geared towards different dietary restrictions.

Be prepared when buying alternative products, you will spend more and usually don't get as much. However, sometimes you use less or can use less in certain things like mix-ins if you want to make things stretch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Italian Kitchen: Baked Feta and Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes and Italian Sausage

I've seen this recipe around and thought I would finally try it. I, of course, made some changes. Next time, I would like to try the Bou...