Friday, August 11, 2023

Breakfast for dinner: Bacon, smoked Gouda, and rosemary quiche and potatoes o'brien

 


I love a good quiche and am always trying new recipes and I have made my best one so far...in my opinion. It was so good! I tried a couple things different this time. First, a mixture of part milk and part heavy whipping cream and second, I shredded the cheese from a block instead of buying pre-shredded cheese from the store. I also tried a different type of cheese, and it was a hit! I also cooked a good bacon instead of using the premade bacon pieces from the store. It really made a difference!


To go with the quiche, I made a homemade potatoes O'Brien. I used red potatoes, diced green and red bell pepper, and diced onion. I had never made these homemade but had all of the ingredients and needed a side for the quiche. This was such an easy side to throw together and allowed me to use up some of the veggies that I needed to use. 

Recipe:
6 small red potatoes diced
1-2 green bell peppers diced
1 red bell peppers diced
butter
oil
seasoning
salt and pepper 1 tsp each


 I sautéed the veggies in a bit of avocado oil and butter for flavor. Once softened I added the diced potatoes (I used red). I also added some shallot powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, silk chili, and black lime for seasoning. I cooked over medium-high heat until cooked to consistency I wanted. I added some more butter when cooking the potatoes. 


For the quiche, I used some bacon and smoked gouda. Why smoked gouda? I thought it sounded good and it was the cheese I had on hand. I could have also added some peppers to this but since I had them in the potatoes, I just left it basic. I did want to add some seasoning and decided on rosemary. Some of my favorite breakfast places have used rosemary with their eggs and it really made the quiche smell amazing. 

One tip I have read recently is about shredded cheese. I've read it's better to shred your own rather than buying shredded from the store. It melts better for some reason. I have been shredding my own more often and am so glad I did for this. It melted perfectly and gave the quiche a nice brown top. For as basic as this quiche was it really tasted amazing. I make quiche pretty frequently it is just so easy to make. I did make this one crustless since I need to watch my carbs and I didn't have any crust on hand and didn't feel like making any. 

The recipe:

Bacon- cooked and crumbled (I found the air fryer cooked the bacon the best)
Smoked Gouda Cheese- shredded
6 eggs 
2 C heavy whipping cream
1 C milk
1 1/2 tsp salt 
1 tsp pepper
rosemary - fresh or dried would work- I used dried from Burlap and Barrel

I greased the dish since this was going to be crustless. I scrambled the eggs, added the milk, cream, salt, pepper, and 1 tsp of rosemary in a bowl. I then, in the pan I greased, added bacon in a layer then topped with the shredded cheese. Then I poured the egg mixture over the bacon and cheese. I then added a bit more rosemary to the top to cover any bare spots. Then baked the quiche at 350 degrees in the oven for 1 hour and 20 minutes. I first set for 50 minutes and checked but it was not set yet, so I added another 30 minutes, and it was perfect. Every oven is different so I would start with the 50 minutes then increase if needed. 





This really has been my best quiche made to date. I will definitely be adding this to my recipe favorites. I didn't even miss the crust! The stars of this recipe for me were the rosemary and the smoked gouda. You can use other cheeses of course but the smoked gouda really gave it a nice flavor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Italian Kitchen: Baked Feta and Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes and Italian Sausage

I've seen this recipe around and thought I would finally try it. I, of course, made some changes. Next time, I would like to try the Bou...