Monday, August 7, 2023

August in Illinois means it's State Fair Season! What kinds of food will you try or what favorites are you excited about?

 August in Illinois is always exciting as we get ready for the IL State Fair! And of course, one of the things that you do at the fair is consume different types of food. What are your favorites, what new things are you wanting to try? What can you learn about how we get our food, and will you visit the Farmer's Market? 

The IL State Fair is held annually in August in Springfield IL. It first started in 1853. That is crazy! The IL state fair has been going on for 170 years! The central theme of the fair is agriculture. Its purpose is to showcase Illinois agriculture. 

A little bit of food trivia- 

The IL state fair played a key role in the popularization of the corn dog, starting in 1946.

Did you know that the butter cow is actually hollow? It is actually butter applied to an armature. But it still contains 500lbs of butter!

So, what food do you have to get at the fair?

 For me it starts with the Mini Donuts (or Tom Thumb donuts). These surpass the funnel cake and elephant ear, in my opinion. My family will buy a bucket to share, and the kids love them! 

                   

Another favorite of mine is the Cheese on a stick, I know most everyone wants a corndog but for me give me the cheese! If it is cooked well, it is just melty enough without being runny and the batter is so thick. 

No trip to the fair is complete without the Culler's fries with malt vinegar. And a great addition to go with your cheese on a stick (or corndog). 

I also love visiting the Village of Cultures and all of the different food booths there. The Cajun booth is one of my favorites. I love their Jambalaya. The village of cultures has 12 different food booths all serving cuisine from a different area. This year they will have Small Plates Big Tastes where you can buy sample sized items for $3. 

I also love the ribeye sandwich from Taft's. 

What new things would you like to try this year? Not sure? Me either! If you want to research it though the IL state fair Facebook page has been doing a vendor spotlight on Mondays for Munchie Monday. I think the one I've seen so far; I'd like to try is Ben's Soft Pretzel's. They will be on Central Ave. 

Some interesting things I've tried and enjoyed in the past were the chocolate covered bacon, the alligator, the fried pickles, and the porkchop on a stick. If you want to try something but not sure if you will like it, share it. Then if you don't like it it's not a huge waste of money or food. 

Maybe I will see you out there! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Italian Kitchen: Baked Feta and Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes and Italian Sausage

I've seen this recipe around and thought I would finally try it. I, of course, made some changes. Next time, I would like to try the Bou...