Monday, July 31, 2023

Farmers Market- August Produce and recipe ideas

 


August brings to the market one of my favorite items.... apples, as well as some items I have recipes for I would like to try. What are some of the things you are excited to see at the market this month? It may surprise you but some of the items I would like to try are leeks, sweet potatoes, and plums. If anyone knows me well, I have some weird food things, like textures bother me some. Some I have bad memories from, like brussels sprouts, and I'm not overly fond of food that is really messy to eat. It's just some of my own weird food things. 

Does anyone else have a weird food thing? Another one of mine is I eat one thing at a time. I eat all my veggies at once, then move on to my next item, for instance. I've always eaten this way, not sure why I just always have. Although my dad may also eat this way if I remember correctly so maybe its genetic! LOL!

So, what are the benefits to the produce we see in August and how can you use them?


Up first, my favorite, apples. They are rich in fiber and antioxidants. They are also linked to lower risk of diabetes, heart disease, and cancer. Maybe that's why they say eating an apple a day will keep the doctor away. They are one of the world's most popular fruits. Apples are a great option if you are trying to eat healthy. They not only are nutritious but have sweetness making them a great option to add sweetness to a dish. I personally use apples frequently in my overnight oats for breakfast. And who can forget the most American pie, the Apple pie. Apples can also be paired with savory foods like meatballs, pork, and are a popular option for charcuterie boards. It also makes a great beverage as either apple juice or a fall favorite, Apple Cider. 

Slow Cooker Apple Cider Maple Meatballs
50 frozen meatballs
2 C apple cider
1/2 C maple syrup
3 TBSP apple cider vinegar
2 apples cored and chopped

Turn slow cooker on Low. Place the meatballs into the slow cooker and add the apple cider, maple syrup, and apple cider vinegar. Place the apples on top. Cook on Low for 4-8 hours, then turn to warm. Serve with additional chopped apples if desired. 

Bok Choy is not something you hear a lot about. It is helpful for reducing inflammation, and reducing risk of heart disease, diabetes, and various cancers. One of the most common ways to have Bok Choy is in stir fry. This is probably my favorite way to have it. Another way is in a Hot Pot (see post on Sukiyaki and Korean Hot Pot restaurant). 

Bok Choy Stir Fry
1/2 C vegetable both
1/3 C soy sauce
2 TBSP honey
2 tsp sesame oil
2 TBSP ginger
3 cloves of garlic minced
1 TBSP sesame seeds

Whisk together and reserve.

12 oz chow main noodles
1 TBSP peanut oil
1 C red pepper sliced
1 C mushrooms sliced
6 C bok choy cleaned and chopped.
1 TBSP cornstarch
1 TBSP cool water

Cook the noodles according to package and reserve. In large skillet, add peanut oil and heat over med-hi heat. Add bell pepper, mushrooms, and bok choy. Cook, stirring often, for about 4 minutes until fork tender. Add reserved chow mein and reserved sauce and toss to combine until well coated. Combine cornstarch and water in small bowl and add to stir fry. Continue to cook until the sauce thickens. 

Carrots promote healthy vision, balance blood sugar, help manage weight, regulate blood pressure, and improve immunity. Carrots are another vegetable like zucchini that can be used in savory and sweet dishes. I love a good carrot cake made with pineapple. Yumm! And in my opinion, the carrots are the best addition to a good pot roast. I would rather have more carrots than potatoes. Carrots can be added to other dishes or are just as good on their own or as a snack. 

Roasted Carrots

Carrots
Olive Oil
Seasoning of choice- (my favorite salt and black lime)

Peel and chop carrots as desired. Drizzle carrots in olive oil and toss. Sprinkle with seasoning. Place carrots on baking sheet and cook in oven at 400 degrees for 18-20 minutes.
*These would be great in the air fryer as well. Time would depend on the air fryer being used. Mine has a roast setting and takes 20 minutes. 

Plums are low calorie, improve bone health, improve memory and brain health, and protect against cell damage. I have always wanted to try plum jam since watching Sweet Home Alabama. Alas, I have not had the opportunity. Maybe this year!

Refined Sugar Free Plum Jam
2 C Plum chopped
1/2 lemon juiced
2 TBSP maple syrup
2 TBSP chia seeds

Over medium heat in a saucepan add plums, lemon, and maple syrup. Bring to a boil and turn the heat down slightly allowing the plums to simmer, reduce, and soften (approx 10-15 minutes.) Add chia seeds, stir through for a minute then turn off the heat. Allow the jam to thicken by cooling down at room temperature. Store in an airtight jar in the refrigerator and use as needed. 

*Jam can be left chunky or mashed up. Yield is for 1 jar. It will stay good in the fridge for 5-10 days. You can freeze it in jars. 

Leeks are rich in antioxidants; they also reduce inflammation as well as the risk of diabetes and cancer. I've never really thought about leeks much but at Christmas I had a meal out and they served a leek mashed potato, and it was so good. One recipe I would like to try to make is a bacon and leek quiche. It sounds so good!

Bacon and Leek Quiche
1 refrigerated crust pre-made
3 strips of bacon
2 medium leeks thinly sliced
8 large eggs
1 C Gouda shredded
1/2 C of half n half or heavy whipping cream
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Cook the bacon until crispy. Transfer to plate and set aside. In same skillet, add sliced leeks, and cook in the bacon grease until tender. Set aside to cool. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Place thawed crust in pie tin and trim excess crust. Pierce with fork or line with parchment paper and weigh down with pie weights and blind bake for 10 minutes.  Chop bacon into small pieces and in a large bowl combine the bacon, leeks, and all remaining ingredients for the filling. Remove pie crust from oven and fill with filling. Place back in the oven to bake for approximately 40 minutes or until set. 

Sweet Potatoes are high in fiber and antioxidants. They promote a healthy gut and brain. They support vision and immunity. Sweet Potatoes are another popular fall item that we see a lot of at Thanksgiving. There are so many ways to make them, and they can be seen in savory and sweet dishes. I personally am not a fan of them mashed. Not sure why but I do like a good sweet potato fry, and I like them in a dish called Tzimmies often served at Passover. I have always wondered about a sweet potato pie...it looks like Pumpkin; does it taste similar? I may need to explore this further this fall. Below is a recipe I have wanted to try but have not yet. Maybe this month will be my chance. 

Melting Sweet Potatoes
2 lbs sweet potatoes (apprx 2 large)
1/2 tsp Kosher salt
4 TBSP unsalted butter- melted and cooled
Cinnamon (optional)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Peel the sweet potatoes (if desired) and cut crosswise into 1-inch-thick rounds. Place the rounds on a rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with butter and sprinkle with salt. Sprinkle with cinnamon if desired. Toss to coat. Arrange in a single layer with at least 1/2 inch between rounds. Roast for 20 minutes. Using tongs, flip the rounds, then roast for 20 minutes more.

*They will look like they are burning but be patient. It is just the butter carmelizing. 
*This recipe can be adjusted easily for just one or for a crowd.

What produce are you excited about this month? I hope you get a chance to try out some of the great items available this month and feel free to share how you are using them?

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Italian Kitchen: Baked Feta and Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes and Italian Sausage

I've seen this recipe around and thought I would finally try it. I, of course, made some changes. Next time, I would like to try the Bou...