Wednesday, July 12, 2023

The Family Kitchen: Grandma Hazel dressing with a twist inspired from my mom

 My Grandma Hazel made the best dressing. I used her recipe to try and recreate it with a few tweaks inspired by my mom. 


My mom would make this dressing but would add either chicken or turkey into it to make it more of a chicken and stuffing bake. I followed the recipe except I added extra chicken broth (still could have used more in my opinion) and added chicken and fresh sage.  When Grandma made this, it was always so soft and only crispy on the edges same with my mom. However, mine was still on the drier side. I either need to use more chicken broth or water, or maybe add a can of cream of chicken soup. I also did not use any stale bread just the stuffing croutons. It still tastes great just not as good as Mom and Grandma's!


With this dish I also made southern green beans with red potatoes, and cubed ham in the crockpot. I used fresh green beans from the produce stand and red potatoes as well. 


The recipe:
I used 3lbs aprx of green beans trimmed
5-6 small red potatoes cubed or diced
1/2 C chicken broth
1 Ham steak cubed
1 TBSP butter
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
red pepper flakes optional
salt to taste

I added it all to the crockpot and cooked on high for 3 1/2 hours

The finished product was very good and was a great comfort food/ classic recipe as well. This would be great to make for thanksgiving and in fact I did make this for myself for Thanksgiving last year. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

The Italian Kitchen: Baked Feta and Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes and Italian Sausage

I've seen this recipe around and thought I would finally try it. I, of course, made some changes. Next time, I would like to try the Bou...