Wednesday, May 17, 2023

The Global Kitchen: Japanese Yakisoba

 A friend of mine introduced me to yakisoba years ago and I've wanted to try cooking it on my own since. It is easy enough to make with the noddle and seasoning pack I found at the Asian Market. 

             

I also found some teriyaki beef skewers on sale and bought those to make with the yakisoba. You cook the meat on the stove. Add chopped veggies like carrots, cabbage, peppers, etc and stir fry.  Then add the noodles and stir fry all together. At the end add a bit of water and the seasoning packet and mix all together. Voila...Yakisoba!

                                      

Yakisoba is a Japanese noodle stir-fried dish. Usually made from buckwheat flour or wheat flour. It is typically flavored with Worcestershire sauce. The dish first appeared in food stalls in Japan around the 1930's. It is typically served with chicken or pork. The vegetables typical of the dish are cabbage, onions, and carrots. 

In Okinawa, the dish is popular with locals as well as the US service members stationed on the island. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Italian Kitchen: Baked Feta and Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes and Italian Sausage

I've seen this recipe around and thought I would finally try it. I, of course, made some changes. Next time, I would like to try the Bou...