Monday, May 15, 2023

Kickoff to the Old Capitol Farmers Market is May 17th!

May kicks off one of my favorite seasons! Farmers Market season! In Springfield IL our Farmer's Market kicks off for the season on May 17th. It is considered to be the most popular farmers market in Central Illinois. The market supports small farmers and local growers by providing an open-air venue for them to sell their products. The local economy is supported by providing access to healthy products at a reasonable cost. The market is a great community meeting place. In preparation for that event, I am compiling some information you may want to know. 


First where is it located? The Old Capital Farmers Market runs on every Wednesday and Saturday morning starting May 17th in downtown Springfield, IL at 4th Street and Adams. It runs from 8am to 1230pm. The market runs through the end of October for the summer market.

What produce will be available in May? You will be able to find great produce like cabbage, cherries, lettuce, strawberries, and others. See the graphic below for all produce that will be in season and the benefits of the produce. 


What other items can you find at the farmers market? It is not just a place to find produce. You can find things like coffee, baked goods, soaps, olive oil, cut flowers, plants, eggs, meat products, and many other things. 


What type of payment do the vendors accept? Cash, credit, and debit are accepted as well as LINK is accepted and matched. 

My favorite vendors to check out are: 
Itty Bitty MicroFarm- I love their microgreens on sandwiches and salads, also they sell cat grass which my kitties love!
Calhoun Produce- they have the best peaches!
Hilltop Community Gardens- they just always have good stuff.
Hodgson's - mom always said they had the best cantaloupe.


I like to make a morning of it. Grab a friend, meet for breakfast (my favorite places to go are Boones and Cafe Moxo), then head to the market. Even if you don't end up buying anything ( I mean that never happens) it is great to get out among the community with friends and get some fresh air. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Italian Kitchen: Baked Feta and Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes and Italian Sausage

I've seen this recipe around and thought I would finally try it. I, of course, made some changes. Next time, I would like to try the Bou...