Monday, July 15, 2024

New ingredient I am in love with: Masa Harina

 If you are a fan of Mexican food, you may be familiar with Masa flour or Masa Harina. If not, you may be familiar with what it is made into. It is the main ingredient in corn tortillas and tamales. I learned about it by watching the Pioneer Woman but have always loved tamales. Then I found a bag of it at the store and just had to try it. I have cooked with it so much already!

What is Masa Harina? It is dried corn dough or flour. It is used to make fresh tortillas. It originated in Mexico. It is actually made from hominy and that is where it gets its distinct flavor. 

Masa is gluten free. It is a good source of fiber and protein. Although it is higher in carbs so if that is a concern just make sure you are aware. 

I have been cooking with it a lot and it has been really good. If you like the taste of corn tortillas, you will love it. It also is a great thickener for things like soups especially chili (this is how the Pioneer Woman uses it).

Masa Cheddar Puffs are the first thing I made and I liked it so much I made it again!

These look like drop bisquits but they do not really rise so they stay in the form they are placed on the baking sheet. They also are filled with eggs and cheese so are very high in protein. 

Ingredients:

1 stick of butter
1 C water 
1tsp salt
1 C masa
4 large eggs
1 C shredded cheese
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp chili powder or taco seasoning
2 TBSP sugar
pinch of black pepper

Recipe:

To a saucepan, add butter, water, and salt. Heat to melt the butter and bring to a quick boil. 
Reduce heat to medium and stir in the masa. Stir quickly to incorporate and form a buttery dough and cook for another minute more. 
Remove from heat and cool slightly.
Add the eggs one by one and mix quickly until combined. 
Add the cheese, and seasonings plus sugar and mix well until combined. 
Heat oven to 425. 
Use TBSP to scoop out balls onto lightly oiled baking sheet, I find parchment paper works well. 
Keep them spaced 1 in apart. 
Bake for 10 minutes, then lower to 350 degrees and bake another 12-15 minutes until cooked through and golden. 
Remove from heat and cool slightly and serve. 

The other recipe I have made is a Tamale Pie (see previous blog post). This has been a very good recipe and the masa really shines in it!



I am really excited to try this in some soups and chilis and would love to try some empanadas too. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

The Italian Kitchen: Baked Feta and Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes and Italian Sausage

I've seen this recipe around and thought I would finally try it. I, of course, made some changes. Next time, I would like to try the Bou...