Friday, April 26, 2024

The Global Kitchen: Korean Beef and Quinoa bowl

 I have really enjoyed cooking more with quinoa. It's easy and usually the meals can be thrown together pretty quickly. On top of that, the meals are healthy. I also get about 4 meals out of this. This Korean Beef one was very good. I will definitely make this one again. I also am really enjoying adding sriracha as a topping of course with my cilantro. If you like Asian flavors and want a quick meal this one you should try. 


The recipe:
1 C quinoa cooked
1 TBSP of olive oil
1/4 tsp ground ginger
3 cloved garlic, minced
1 lb ground beef lean
1/4 C low sodium soy sauce
1/4 C brown sugar or coconut palm sugar
1 TBSP sesame oil
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
salt and pepper to taste
2 green onions thinly sliced or other veggies like zucchini, green pepper strips, etc

*I used 1lb beefalo, coconut palm sugar, I omitted sesame oil and replaced with avocado oil, and used zucchini instead of green onions. 

Toppings if desired: cilantro, sriracha, or thai basil


The recipe:

Cook quinoa according to directions of in a rice cooker or instant pot. I cook my quinoa in broth. For this recipe I used beef broth. 1 C of quinoa to 2 C liquid. 

Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the beef and brown completely. Drain most of the fat. Clear room in the pan to cook the garlic and ginger for about 1 min. If adding veggies add them after meat is brown and cook until softened slightly. 

In a small bowl, combine the sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. 

Add soy sauce mixture to meat mixture and let cook about 3-5 minutes to allow the flavors to set.

Serve beef over the quinoa and top with additional toppings. I used cilantro and sriracha. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Healthy Kitchen: How to sauce up your grain bowl

 I have been loving cooking with quinoa. But how can you adjust your bowls, so they are move versatile? Change up the sauce. You can use a b...