Monday, November 20, 2023

The Holiday Kitchen: Oven Roasted Chestnuts

Everyone has heard The Christmas song, and it's famous line...chestnuts roasting on an open fire. I have never tried them. While at the store I found some chestnuts so I got a few and thought I'd try it. 

You have to score each chestnut with an x. If you don't or don't score deep enough they will explode in the oven. I learned that the hard way. You then have to soak them for 1 hour in a bowl of water.
Drain then place in a single layer on a baking sheet a bake for 20-30 minutes in 425 degree oven. 
Once done place in a paper bag or a towel to steam. This will allow you to be able to peel them easily. Crack the chestnuts then peel.

To be honest...I was not a huge fan. But I am particular with nuts. I'm glad I tried them but will probably keep to singing the song instead. You should try them yourself though. You may prefer them. 



 



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Italian Kitchen: Baked Feta and Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes and Italian Sausage

I've seen this recipe around and thought I would finally try it. I, of course, made some changes. Next time, I would like to try the Bou...