Monday, October 23, 2023

The Breakfast Kitchen: Overnight Oats

Overnight oats are a great way to get a range of health benefits in and they are so easy to put together. Overnight oats are my normal weekday breakfast. I throw it together the night before and, in the morning, I just pop it into the microwave to warm up. Some prefer them cold, but I like mine warm. They offer a range of health benefits like fiber, protein, vitamins and minerals including iron.   There are so many different ways you can make them they really are up to each individual taste.   

Things you will need:
A container- I use a mason jar (glass would be best)
measuring spoons and cups

Base ingredients:
1/2-3/4 C old fashioned oats
1 tsp chia seeds
1/2 C- 1 C unsweetened almond milk. (You can use whatever milk you prefer)
1-2 tsp of sweetener of choice (I use coconut sugar and sugar free maple syrup or honey)
sprinkle of cinnamon

My absolute favorite if I am not watching my sugar would be Nutella. I add Nutella to the ingredients above and it is so good. But I have to watch my sugar so now I am on a hunt for a low sugar alternative. 

Ingredients I like to use in overnight oats as options:

Berries like blueberries and raspberries
Cherries
Peaches or mangoes
Apples
Nuts: Pecans and almonds are my favorite
Granola
Extracts: I use either vanilla or almond
Dried fruits: raisins or cranberries
Chocolate chips: I prefer dark chocolate for the health benefits.
Peanut butter: I do not personally like regular peanut butter (I don't like the texture) but I have                 discovered PB2 powder. You get the taste of peanut butter without the gummy texture. Plus, its low      
  carb.  They have all kinds, even chocolate peanut butter and peanut butter with added probiotics.
Seasonings: hibiscus powder, cardamom, cocoa powder, pumpkin spice, etc.

                     



Some of my favorite combinations:
Apple and PB2 powder
Blueberry and pecans
Cherries, almonds, and almond extract
Raisins and PB2 powder
Raspberries, cocoa powder, and vanilla extract with couple dark chocolate chips
Chocolate PB2 powder and everything brownie seasoning. 

Not only are overnight oats healthy but they are quick and can make a great grab and go breakfast. I work from home so I can literally wake up, heat them up, and start work in minutes. It took a long time for me to try them. The idea was just weird to me for some reason. Once I tried them, I never looked back. I have had them almost every weekday and since I can change up the ingredients, I don't get bored with them. I encourage you to try them if you haven't or try some new flavor combinations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Italian Kitchen: Baked Feta and Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes and Italian Sausage

I've seen this recipe around and thought I would finally try it. I, of course, made some changes. Next time, I would like to try the Bou...