Sunday, May 7, 2023

The Family Kitchen: Grandma Hazel's recipes and all other Kentucky inspired dishes

Saturday, I had some friends and family over for a small derby party. We watched the derby, had a nice visit, and ate some of my Grandma Hazel's recipes plus some Kentucky favorites.

For an appetizer, we had cheese, summer sausage, crackers, homemade pimento cheese spread, pickles, olives, and my original recipe of a hot brown cheese ball! The cheese ball was inspired by the Hot Brown Sandwich that is a Kentucky favorite. 

                               

                               

For dinner, we had my Grandma's Taglorini (baked spaghetti with corn topped with cheese slices), a salad, and rolls.

                   


For dessert, we had two options. My Grandma's Butter Creme Pie with cool whip instead of meringue and chocolate chip derby pie squares with a buttery pecan crust.

                  


 

We also had a Bourbon Mint Lemonade cocktail made with Woodford Reserve Bourbon which was the sponsor of the Kentucky Derby. Not being a big drinker, this was a great cocktail. I did play around with the recipe so it was more to our tastes.

                                     

All the food was very good (if I do say so myself). There are a few tweaks I would make with the cheese ball but overall it was great!

Recipes are included below.

Taglorini- Grandma Hazel's recipe

Butter Cream Pie- Grandma Hazel's recipe



Pimento Cheese Spread
                                                        Mix all ingredients together

Chocolate Chip Derby Pie

Hot Brown Cheese Ball

Bourbon Mint Lemonade

3-4 C of lemonade
1/2 C Bourbon
1 spring mint

Mix together in pitcher and refrigerate.

Enjoy some of my family's favorite recipes and some local southern and Kentucky regional recipes and my new original Hot Brown inspired cheese ball! I hope you enjoy them!






No comments:

Post a Comment

The Italian Kitchen: Baked Feta and Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes and Italian Sausage

I've seen this recipe around and thought I would finally try it. I, of course, made some changes. Next time, I would like to try the Bou...