Wednesday, April 17, 2024

The Italian Kitchen: Stovetop Gnocchi Lasagna

 A while ago I bought some cauliflower gnocchi from our local farmers market, but I had never had gnocchi before, so I was not sure how to use it. I looked around for some recipes and found one that looked good and not too difficult to make. This was a very easy recipe to make and tasted very good. The gnocchi were like little dumplings and didn't have a big taste. It just kind of took on the taste of the rest of the dish. Now this recipe calls for potato gnocchi but using the cauliflower is a bit healthier. I will say this was a bit of an extravagant farmers market purchase meaning it was not cheap. 12oz of gnocchi was $20. It definitely will not be a weekly purchase but on occasion it would be nice. 


This is a great recipe if you want the taste of lasagna without all the hard work. I do wonder how this would be if cottage cheese or ricotta was added. I bet it would be more like traditional lasagna. This recipe will be completed in 40 minutes and is a one pan meal. 




Ingredients:
1lb ground beef
1 TBSP olive oil
1 small onion chopped
3 garlic cloves minced
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp oregano dried
1/2 tsp parsley or basil dried
1/2 tsp salt
pepper
28oz marinara (I use Rao's and mine was 22oz)
1/2 C chicken broth
4 oz mozzarella shredded or sliced
1/4 C parmesan grated
24 oz gnocchi (mine was 12 oz)
fresh basil optional



Recipe:
Brown the ground beef in a large pan, drain excess grease
Add to the pan the olive oil, onion, garlic, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, parsley, salt, and     pepper cook 3-5 minutes.
Stir in the marinara and chicken broth.
Turn the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. 
Stir in the gnocchi, cover, and simmer an additional 10 minutes. 
Stir in the mozzarella cheese. 
Sprinkle the top with parmesan.
Serve and enjoy!


Couple things I did differently of course. I cooked the meat with the onions and seasonings from the start combining steps. When I added the gnocchi, it was frozen, so I just turned the heat up a tad and cooked a bit longer until the gnocchi were done. I also added pizza party seasoning and silk chili from Burlap and Barrel. If you have fresh basil, it would be really good here. 

This was a very good meal, and it was easy to make. Next time I'd like to try adding some cottage cheese for a more traditional lasagna taste. The cauliflower gnocchi was a great alternative if you need to watch carbs or are vegan. 

Nutrition info estimates:
Yields 8 servings
Calories: 461
Total Fat: 18g
Saturated Fat: 7
Unsaturated Fat: 9g
Cholesterol: 90mg
Sodium: 920mg
Carbohydrates: 46g
Fiber: 4g
Sugar: 7g
Protein: 27g

Note: if you make any changes like use less of an ingredient, or more, or change like using the cauliflower gnocchi then these amounts will not be accurate. 

*This recipe comes from Modern Crumb via pinterest. www.moderncrumb.com




No comments:

Post a Comment

The Italian Kitchen: Baked Feta and Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes and Italian Sausage

I've seen this recipe around and thought I would finally try it. I, of course, made some changes. Next time, I would like to try the Bou...