Monday, January 8, 2024

The Healthy Kitchen: Protein is key

As a diabetic, I always knew about carbs and fiber, but I never realized until recently how important protein is in my diet. As a result, I have been paying much more attention to the protein in the food I am consuming. This includes my snacks. A good snack food will give you the protein you need and if you are a diabetic like me then it will also limit the carbs. Protein is what keeps our sugar from spiking. Below are some meat and cheese-based snacks I have discovered that are really good for you and taste really good. 

 Epic are snack bars made of 100% grass fed meat. They are real food products that are created humanely, are pasture centered, and are delicious! The beef, venison, and bison are 100% grass fed. The chicken and ducks are cage-free.  They also work to convert more ranchers to pasture-based livestock. They also provide incentives to help improve agriculture. They support organizations devoted to improving animal welfare standards. These bars are made using diverse flavors and unique tastes that are then combined with dried fruit, seeds, and creative spices. They have gluten-free, paleo-friendly, keto-friendly, and whole 30 options. Some of their bars have low to no sugar as well. 

These bars are not only nutritious, and sustainable but they taste delicious. These do come in at a higher cost point. For a box of 4, you will spend about $10. These would not be an everyday snack I would say because of the cost but they make a nice snack occasionally. You can also buy these by the bar in certain stores and they run around $3/bar. 

Country Archer meat sticks are made with real ingredients: no msg, no preservatives, no nitrates. They are made with 100% grass-fed beef and cage-free turkey. They are made with lean cuts of meat. They are made in small batches with organic ingredients. They have 0 sugar options, plant based, and antibiotic-free.
             
These meat sticks are very tasty and are much more cost-effective. You can find these in most stores, but Sam's Club has a good deal for a 24 pack it is $15. The turkey is really good with the rosemary. It is a great flavor combination. They are 0 carb and have 4g of protein per mini stick. I keep these in my purse for when I am out and about and need a quick snack. 

Parm Crisps are made from 100% cheese, low carb, protein packed, sugar free, and gluten free. The cheese is locally sourced in the USA by a family run company. They are oven-baked in small batches to ensure quality. They contain no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives. There are flavors like sour cream and onion, four cheese, and everything (my favorite!) 
This brand is my favorite, but a lot of stores now carry similar crisps in their own brand. Sams has a members mark one and there is the Whisps brand. I prefer these over all of the others. Usually, you get 2 servings per bag (if you can stop at one serving). Walmart has this brand for $3/bag. The Target brand runs about $3.50 but their crisps are smaller. You will get 1G of carb, and 13g of fiber per serving for the Everything Parm Crisps. You can even use these in salads and soups. 


Moon Cheese is gluten free, low in carbs, packed with protein, keto-friendly. They are crunchy cheese bites. I prefer to use these in soups. This is not my preferred snacking cheese. There are different flavors: cheddar believe it, get pepper jacked, oh my gouda, white chedda black peppa, and garlickin parmesan. 

These moon cheese have 0g sugar, 11g of protein, and 1-2g carbs. I really like the gouda flavored ones. I also prefer the ones sold at Harvest Market by a local company. The Harvest Market one's cost 4$ per bag. The Gouda and the Pepperjack are really good . They are great as a substitute for crackers in soup and they don't get soft, they stay crunchy. 


Next time you are at the store, try one of these snack options. I highly suggest the Everything Parm Crisps. They are my favorite! If you have found any other cheese and meat-based snacks feel free to share it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Italian Kitchen: Baked Feta and Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes and Italian Sausage

I've seen this recipe around and thought I would finally try it. I, of course, made some changes. Next time, I would like to try the Bou...