Thursday, November 16, 2023

The Family Kitchen: Grandma Hazel's Raisin Bars

    These raisin bars are a favorite of my dad's and another recipe of my Grandma Hazel's that I have never seen anywhere else. They are a type of cake with raisins mixed in. It uses spices often found in pumpkin pie. My mom learned this recipe from my grandma, and it is still one my dad asks for regularly. I'm glad I have the recipe so I can keep making it. If your family has special recipes or ones that everyone likes, make sure you write them down and share them so the next generation can keep making these special dishes. 

    One thing I have learned over the last few years is how much I wish I took an interest in these things when my grandmas and even my mom were still around and could make all these dishes together. However, now they are pieces of them that I can make and remember good times and all the great meals we had together.  

    During this holiday season, take the time to stop and take in your surroundings. The family and friends around you. Appreciate these times that you have together. Time is fleeting and you don't want to take for granted the time that you have together. 


The ingredients:

1 C raisins
1 C water
1/2 C oil
1 C sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1 3/4 C flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp allspice


The Recipe:
Boil raisins and water then add oil and sugar and set aside to cool.

Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.

Place in a jelly roll pan and bake at 350 degreed for 20 minutes. Cool.

Top with a powdered sugar glaze.
2 C powdered sugar
2 T milk
1/2 tsp vanilla

Whisk together until smooth and drizzle on top of raisin bars.


Couple adjustments I had to make because I was low on certain ingredients. I used brown sugar instead regular granulated sugar and only used about 1/2 tsp of vanilla in the cake part. For the glaze, I used almond extract instead of vanilla. Guess I need to get to the store to buy some baking essentials!




No comments:

Post a Comment

The Italian Kitchen: Baked Feta and Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes and Italian Sausage

I've seen this recipe around and thought I would finally try it. I, of course, made some changes. Next time, I would like to try the Bou...