Wednesday, July 19, 2023

The Sweet Kitchen: Peanut Butter cookies with Chocolate Chips

 I am not normally a fan of peanut butter. For me it is not the taste so much as the texture. I have some weird texture issues with food. It's too gooey and sticky and I just don't prefer. I can make myself eat it but I prefer using things like PB2 powder for the taste of peanut butter without the texture issues. One way I can use peanut butter is in making a healthier version of the Peanut Butter cookie. 

If you are anything like me, you like a little sweet at the end of the day. Yesterday, I was thinking about if I wanted to make something or go to the store for some sweet. I decided I would try my hand at making the peanut butter cookies but would add some chocolate chips to give it a bit of something extra. 

The recipe is very simple. Only 4 ingredients and it yields 12 cookies. I doubled the recipe and put half in the freezer for later. I also changed the sugar. Instead of using regular granulated sugar I replaced it with Splenda. This is due to a need to limit the amount of sugar I consume.  The nutrition for this recipe is 225 calories, 11.9g of fat, 21.9g of Carbs, 1.5g dietary fiber, 19.6g of sugars, and 6g of protein per cookie. 

Next time I make these cookies I think I will swap brown sugar for the Splenda. Even though Splenda is a sugar alternative it does carry more carbs from sugar. 15.3g with brown sugar instead of the 19.6g with Splenda. Another option would be to use honey instead of sugar. 

Recipe:

1 C peanut butter- creamy

1 C sugar or alternative

1 egg

1/2 C chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix the peanut butter, egg, and sugar together. Fold in or gently mix in chocolate chips. Spoon and roll into balls and place onto baking sheet and use fork to add criss cross pattern to top of cookie. Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet an additional 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Cookies will still be soft. 

This is a great cookie to make that is quick, easy, has limited ingredients, and you most likely have the ingredients as staples in your pantry already. This means at the last minute you can decide to make these and have a relatively healthy sweet treat to snack on. Just be aware that this cookie can be a bit crumbly. However, it still tastes good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Italian Kitchen: Baked Feta and Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes and Italian Sausage

I've seen this recipe around and thought I would finally try it. I, of course, made some changes. Next time, I would like to try the Bou...