Thursday, June 1, 2023

The Classic Kitchen: Beef Tips and Gravy over Rice

 


Growing up my mom would make us beef tips and rice on occasion, and I always loved it. Tonight's dinner was inspired by those memories. This is not my mom's specific recipe but is very similar.

 Step 1: coat the beef (I used stew meat) in a seasoning mix (I used a steak seasoning mix that I made) and 3 tbsp of flour. Cook the beef slightly on each side approx. 30 sec to brown. (It will cook the rest of the way later) Set aside on a plate.

                                       

Step 2: Mix together in a bowl or measuring cup the ingredients for the gravy minus the cornstarch and water. 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp garlic powder, 2 C beef broth, 1 beef bouillon cube (I used better than bouillon 1tsp), 1.5 tsp of Worcestershire sauce, 1/4 tsp of dried thyme and dried rosemary. Stir together. Add to pan with steak drippings add 2 TBSP of butter. Cook on medium heat and bring to a boil.


Step 3: Mix 3tbsp cornstarch plus 1/4 C cold water and mix until combined. Whisk into the sauce a little at a time, stirring continuously until you reached the desired consistency. 

Step 4: Reduce heat to medium-low and add the beef along with any of the juices from the plate. Cook with the lid partially covered for 10-15 minutes until the beef is cooked through. Remove from heat.


Step 5: Prepare rice. You can use white or brown rice. If cooking brown rice, I suggest 1 C of brown rice to 2 C chicken broth. It gives the rice a better flavor and texture. I cook my rice in a rice cooker. You can also serve this over egg noodles or mashed potatoes instead if you prefer. If you use brown rice the gravy really gives the rice a softer texture. It is very good. 


This is a classic comfort food dish at its finest. You can make this your own by adding things like veggies or make it into an open-faced sandwich by adding bread. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

The Meatless Kitchen: Tex Mex Quinoa Three Ways!

 I needed a quick lunch the other day, so I made a big batch of Tex Mex Quinoa. Basically, a bunch of veggies and beans tossed with seasoned...