Monday, June 26, 2023

Local Markets

 Did you know that Springfield is home to some small local markets? Among them three international markets and a small market full of local foods. Below is a brief overview of some of the places if you would like to check them out. 

Asian Market


Some of my favorite things to get at this market are sauces and vinegars, Yakisoba noodles, and thinly sliced meats. This week all I bought was some seasoned soy sauce. There are all sorts of things from produce to rice, noodles, snack foods, wine, and cookware. This is a great market if you are looking to expand your tastes a bit and are looking for some unusual items. 



1330 Wabash Ave Springfield IL 62704

Masala Market

The Masala Market is a market for Indian cuisine. I was not able to purchase anything since their EBT system was down but they had my favorite brand of premade Indian dishes, Deep.




I would like to go back and try some new things. I am especially interested in these Chutney sauces. They have rice, spices, produce, meat, snack foods and cookies. This would be a great place to check out if you are wanting to try Indian food. I highly suggest the Deep brand of frozen premade dishes. This is a great way to try Indian food if you are not sure if you will like them. 

1650 Wabash Ave Springfield IL 62704

Almandina International Foods Market

This is a local international market focusing on authentic Middle Eastern, Indian, and African food. This is a little hole in the wall place, but they have the best selection of Deep frozen options that I have seen in town. I bought some new things to try. Like the other markets they offer frozen foods, meats, produce, snacks, rice, spices. There are a number of things I was not familiar with. I was secretly hoping to find the fruit leather I had in South Africa or the Biltong. I did not see these items on my first visit. This place does have some things you would find at a regular market as well. 
              

2700 W Lawrence Ave Springfield IL 62704


Country Market

This was not an international market but is a place full of local items and some Amish baked goods. They also had some great spices, meat options, and produce. This market is local and family owned. They focus on selling locally grown, harvested, and sourced products. I bought a couple new spices to try from the Spice House. I also bought some Amish baked goods to enjoy! They also sell plants as well!




                                       

1610 Wabash Ave Springfield IL 62704












No comments:

Post a Comment

The Meatless Kitchen: Tex Mex Quinoa Three Ways!

 I needed a quick lunch the other day, so I made a big batch of Tex Mex Quinoa. Basically, a bunch of veggies and beans tossed with seasoned...