Monday, May 29, 2023

The Healthy Kitchen: It's a marathon not a race

I have spent decades fighting the scale. Trying diets, exercising, then inevitably giving up. Over and over again. Atkins, Keto, low carb, weight watchers...Ive tried them all with varied success. But inevitably when I stopped it all came back. It just wasn't sustainable. Something I could maintain long term. In my journey I have found some things that have really helped me. I am proud to say my weight loss journey continues but I believe it is now more sustainable and can see continuing this way long term. It feels more like a lifestyle not just a fad. It just took a few small changes that seem to have helped me a lot.


1. Eat less fast food

Moving out of town into a smaller community has really helped with this. I have less fast-food options to pick from. I'm not saying I never eat fast food but cutting back and choosing more sit-down type restaurants has helped. I'm sure it is a combination of what's in the food and taking my time to eat instead of eating on the go while I'm driving. 


2. Cook more meals at home 

This goes in hand with eating less fast food. Eating out less in general has helped. Cooking at home with less processed foods has helped and even making my own sauces, seasonings, and dressings have helped me limit the amount of sugar I am consuming unknowingly. This is very important for me specifically as a diabetic. It also allows me to control the amount of salt I include in seasoning blends like chili powder. 


3. Cheat days

I allow myself cheat days. I can have a piece of cake, or some ice cream, but not every day. For me cheat days are usually on the weekend either Saturday or Sunday. These are days when I am out running more or have parties and events to attend. I may treat myself to a latte and a quiche for breakfast. I don't feel bad for allowing myself these days and it makes eating well during the rest of the week easier. Not always easy I'm not going to lie and say it's easy all the time. But it is easier. Never is a bad word...instead maybe not tonight. I feel like this has been what has caused some issues when I am so strict on a diet or eating plan that I don't allow indulgences on occassion then you get burnt out or tired of always denying myself. Every day is a new day. If you don't eat great today, then tomorrow starts over fresh. 


4. Portion control

I cook differently than you would think being a single person. I still cook enough for multiple people. However, I am fine eating leftovers. Not everyone is and this is up to each person. I will make enough for a few meals. This also means I am not cooking every night. Then when done cooking, before I even eat my meal, I box up all the leftovers, so I am not tempted to go back for seconds. This has really helped me maintain portion control. I also use measuring cups when making things like oatmeal to make sure I am not making and consuming too much. 


5. Eat a small lunch

I do my main cooking for dinner. That means I have my carb heavy meals in the evening for dinner. Mostly rice, but occasionally noodles. I don't want to eat 2 carb heavy meals in a day, so I make lunch my smaller meal. A low carb sandwich, some soup, a salad, or a charcuterie plate are all things that I often eat for lunch. Also, by making my own salad dressings I can cut back on my sugar intake and can have more dressing than I could of traditional dressing you buy in the store that are usually loaded with sugar. Some people like to have their big meal at lunch and their smaller one at dinner. This can be adjusted based on how you like to eat. 


6. Make some items from scratch

As mentioned before, I have started making some things from scratch like marinades, dressings, and seasonings. You can even make your own coffee syrups or flavored creamers. If you make things from scratch, you can control what is included like sugar, salt, gluten, nuts, etc. This is usually more cost effective too than buying all the processed food. 


7. Dessert/sweets are not the enemy

As I mentioned earlier, I do allow myself a cheat day, but even on days when I am not cheating, I still allow myself dessert. It just looks different than on a cheat day. Cheat days are for sugar heavy muffins, cakes, pies, and ice cream. For me on a non-cheat day I get my sweets from fruit, specifically fruit crisps are one of my favorite desserts to make and I can make them no sugar added or with very little sugar added. I also have made my own fruit crisp topping that keeps in the freezer so I can dish up a spoonful as needed. Another great sweet alternative for me is sugar free pudding. There are many ways to adjust sweets for non-cheat days. You just have to do some research and find what works best for you.


8. Drink more water

High sugar drinks add a lot of empty calories, carbs, and sugar and do not really give you any kind of nutritional value. Limiting these drinks helps to lead to a healthier lifestyle especially if you are replacing them with water. This was not always easy for me and it was definitely a process. Not everyone likes the taste of water, especially if you have bad water like I do. Buying a water filter helps and I have learned I prefer cold water to warm. If I am trying to drink more water, it has to be cold. 


9. Don't be too hard on yourself

Lastly, I have learned the only way to be successful at any kind of change to a healthier lifestyle is to give yourself a break. Just because you slip up one night and eat a whole pint of ice cream in one sitting, does not mean you have failed. You just have to get into the mindset that tomorrow is a new day. With each new day comes a new opportunity for success. I had heard this many times over the years and it did not sink in the first time or the first dozen times but eventually I learned to give myself a break. If I am really trying to be healthier than eventually, I will succeed. It may take time but eventually. I will meet my goal. It is still a work in progress for me but I am still progressing toward my goals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Italian Kitchen: Baked Feta and Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes and Italian Sausage

I've seen this recipe around and thought I would finally try it. I, of course, made some changes. Next time, I would like to try the Bou...