Monday, April 24, 2023

The Organized Kitchen: Mise en Place Pantry redo

 Okay, I love organization. I love being able to find what I want when I'm looking for it. I hate the feeling of being surrounded by chaos. Mise En Place is a French culinary term for everything being in its place. 

Some or most of you have probably heard of master organizers like The Home Edit and Marie Kondo (the Konmari method), some may have even heard of the Clutterbug method. I love them all. At some point down the road, we will explore all of these types and more. 

Today, I am going to tell you about my pantry mess.

First, if you follow Clutterbug, I am very much a micro-organizer known as a Cricket with some Ladybug tendencies. I prefer things out of sight and well organized, but if things are needed to be out, I prefer it to be visual. Why is this important to know? My current pantry situation drives me nuts!  It's chaotic, messy, I have to move things all the time to reach what I need. It drives me crazy!

Recently, I had decided I needed to buy a new freestanding pantry cabinet to fix my organization. My apartment does not have a lot of kitchen storage, so I have had to be creative.  I have had issues finding what I need easily in my current set up. This not only leads to chaos but can lead to waste if you don't know what's in your pantry and things go bad or don't get used. 



I really wanted as much out of sight as possible for a couple reasons. 1. It looks tidier and is less chaotic looking. 2. I have cats, and 3. It's just the way I prefer to organize. 


One day, I was looking around my apartment and looking at what I had. Did I have enough to rearrange my pantry situation without buying a whole new cabinet. It's more economical and sustainable to use what I already have available. I thought I could make it work so I started rearranging. 

My big swaps were with my baking items which were shelved on the island and my pantry items which were on a large 8 cube storage organizer with baskets and open shelving. I got to work and was able to get all of my pantry items on the island. 


This island stays pushed against the wall until I need something, so it is hidden but much more organized. 

I then took the storage organizer and made that into my cleaning and miscellaneous storage area. It holds extra coffee mugs, wine and wine glasses, glass storage and plastic storage containers, and some cleaning supplies. These are all organized in baskets. 

The wire rack was left alone because I had recently re-organized it. The only thing I changed was adding cookie cutters and muffin cups to the glass container on the top rack that was empty. This is multipurpose for decor and for use.  My canned goods were recently added to turntables on the 2nd rack so I can see what all I had better. These are now categorized and spread across three turntables instead of all stacked on one. The bottom shelf still holds miscellaneous small appliances. 

I did buy secondhand a secretary desk that I can use as a baking supply station. I love it and it keeps things organized and hidden. I also have put my flour, sugar, brown sugar, and baking soda into large glass jars. I already had butterscotch chips and other chocolate chips in small mason jars. The cabinet holds other baking supplies in the bottom that are used less frequently. 




So, why did I share all of this with you? It's important to know what your organization style is and what works for you and your household. Just because something doesn't work doesn't mean it can't work if you just make some adjustments. It's always better to be able to re-use something you already have than to buy something new if this is an option. I'm not saying you can't treat yourself to something new if that works for you. However, if cost or time is an issue, maybe think about what other ways you can rearrange to give yourself a working system. 

My kitchen is still a work in progress, and I know I will make many more changes, but today I am happy with the results of my Mise En Place Pantry Redo. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Italian Kitchen: Baked Feta and Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes and Italian Sausage

I've seen this recipe around and thought I would finally try it. I, of course, made some changes. Next time, I would like to try the Bou...